The Department of Geography & Environment offers MA and MS programs focused on geography, resource management and environmental planning, and geographic information science (GIS/remote sensing). Our alumni find careers in GIS, environmental management and policy, urban and regional planning, and community college teaching. Many students go on to pursue doctoral studies. Our faculty engage students in international and local field research focused on understanding social and environmental issues, relationships between people and their environments, and problem-solving related to local and global environmental change.
Find out more about our graduate programs:
- M.A. in Geography
- Concentration in Resource Management & Environmental Planning
- M.S. in Geographic Information Science
- Theses: completed and in-progress
Once you're In -- advising handouts:
- How to get your degree:
- SF STATE Division of Graduate Studies: Current Students
- Grad Guide, Steps to Graduation, Thesis Guidelines, Forms
- Projected Departmental Graduate Offerings
- Thesis Research, Proposals & Defenses
- Steps to Graduation from Grad Division: Thesis Guidelines, Templates, etc.
- Scheduling Thesis Defenses
- Completed (and in-progress)Thesis
- Completed Thesis Defense Dates